Avast is one of the most popular security software across the globe. With its top-notch features, it can exhibit some major to minor issues as well. The issue of Avast VPN not working is one of the most annoying errors of all time.
Mostly, this error can occur if the Avast files get corrupted or damaged due to specific reasons. Sometimes, you might face this error if Internet connectivity is weak while installing Avast software.
Some users have also reported that they are getting this issue during updating Avast, which is extremely frustrating
If you are facing the same error on your device, then you can read this post to know the best workarounds for resolving the Avast VPN error.
Table of Contents
What to do If Avast VPN not Working?
After discussing the causes of the Avast error, now, it’s time to understand how you can fix Avast VPN not working error.
Solution 1- Review the Internet Connection
Most of the time, Avast VPN can stop working due to a poor Internet connection. So, if you are using an unstable wireless network, then the occurrence of such an issue is quite common.
Therefore, before proceeding with any troubleshooting methods, you need to review the Ethernet or WiFi connection.
After that, turn off the SecureLine VPN and then try to invoke a few websites in your browser.
Also, you can launch the Internet Connections troubleshooter in Windows. If there is any kind of internal errors, then this tool will repair all the bugs and glitches stopping Avast VPN. Therefore, refer to the undermentioned steps to do this job.
At first, open the Run window by pressing the Windows logo and the R key. Then, invoke the Run dialog box and write “Control”. As you hit the ‘OK’ tab, the Control Panel option will be displayed as the top search result.
Under the Control Panel window, locate the Troubleshooting option from the appeared menu and click on it. After that, you will find a new page, where you can hit the “View All” option. This will open a list.
From the list, you need to choose the Internet Connection option and then select “Run As Administrator”. This action will launch the troubleshooter window with Administrative privilege. Then, choose Advanced option and click on the tab of “Apply Repair Automatically”.
Now, hit the Next option to begin the troubleshooting process. Afterward, follow the on-screen instruction to complete the entire troubleshooting process.
Solution 2- Execute Clean Boot
This is another great way to resolve the Avast VPN not working. To execute the clean boot, follow these steps.
- Press the combination of Windows logo and R key. Then, invoke the Run dialog window and write “msconfig” into it, Then, hit the Enter key to execute the command.
- Now, navigate to the Service tab and select the “Hide all Microsoft services” checkbox.
- This action will deactivate all the services from Microsoft on Windows. Now, hit the “Disable All” button and select the “Apply” tab. Afterward, press the OK button to save the new changes.
- Next, go to the Startup tab and choose the option named Open Task Manager. Further, you can follow the on-screen guidelines to complete the clean booting process.
Solution 3- Deactivate the Windows Defender Firewall
Sometimes, Windows Defender Firewall conflicts with the antivirus program and prevent Avast VPN from running. In such situations, you can deactivate the Windows Defender Firewall.
So, to resolve the Avast SecureLine’s connection error, follow the steps underneath.
- At first, press the Windows tab and R key simultaneously. Then, invoke the Run dialog box, and type “Control” into it.
- Now, from the Control Panel window, find the tab for “Network and Internet” and go to “Network and Sharing Center”. Next. navigate to the left pane and locate the option Windows Defender Firewall. Once you find it, right-click it.
- On the Windows Defender Firewall window, choose “Help protect your computer with Windows Defender Firewall” option. Now, locate the link for “Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off” and click on it.
- Then, open the Customize Settings and hit the “Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (not recommended)” option. This option is situated under the ‘Private network settings’ and ‘Public network settings’.
- Lastly, hit the Apply button and the OK button to save these changes.
By using the above steps, you will be able to deactivate the Windows Defender Firewall. Now, check whether Avast VPN is still not working and navigate to the next solution.
Solution 4- Remove the Third-Party Security Software
At times, a third-party security program can also restrict VPN connections. Therefore, it is recommended that you remove the third-party security software from your device.
In order to disable the third-party antivirus program, follow the steps discussed below:
Step 1: First, invoke the Start menu and navigate to the settings. Once the Settings window opens, choose “System” and click on the “Apps and Features” option. Thereafter, locate the security software application that belongs to a third-party source.
Step 3: Next, right-click on the program and hit the “Uninstall” option. Now, hit the OK button twice and confirm the process.
After removing the third-party security software, reboot your device to let the new changes take effect.
Solution 5- Close all the Conflicting Services
Avast VPN not working issue can also appear due to the conflicting VPN services. To get rid of the error, you need to close them by following the below section.
- At first, go to the Start menu and then open the search box. Now, launch the System Configuration utility by typing the “msconfig” command in the box. Then, hit the Enter key and choose the Selective startup radio button present under the General tab.
- Locate the Load startup items option and place a tick mark in the checkboxes for the “Load System Services” and “Use original boot configuration”.
- Then, navigate to the Services tab and select “Hide all Microsoft services” to disable the conflicting services.
- Now, choose the “Disable All” button to uncheck the services that belong to the third-party sources.
- Further, hit the Apply as well as the OK button to save the new settings.
Once the process is over, reboot your device and verify whether the error has been resolved or not.
So, in the above section, we have mentioned all the best possible solutions for resolving the Avast VPN not working problem. Hopefully, after reading this post, you will deal with the Avast error easily.
If none of the methods works, then try to reinstall the Avast application to resolve the issue.
But, if you face any kind of trouble while performing the above methods, don’t panic and post your difficulties in the feedback section below.
Otherwise, you can also ask for advanced solutions from an Avast technician.