Avast Antivirus software can stop functioning due to many reasons. This can include incomplete installation, corrupted setup file and VPN related problems on Windows-based devices.
There are situations when Avast antivirus can refuse to launch if the program is not up to date. Also, check whether the version is compatible with Windows since this can be a major reason for blocking the software.
If you are observing that Avast not working on your computer, try to understand the issues before activating the security program. In case, the software is inaccessible due to missing files or misconfiguration in Windows, you have to apply some troubleshooting tips.
In this article, you will come across some of the possible causes due to which Avast can stop working on Windows. You can also refer this content to learn about the fixes and resolve this problem without any hassle.
What Are The Fixes When Avast Not Working On Your Computer?
If you can’t work with Avast software, then you can apply certain methods to resolve this error. But, you must be aware of the top causes for Avast not working on Windows on any other OS. So, let’s begin.
Method 1: Repair Avast Antivirus Program
This solution is for those users who are encountering Avast VPN not working due to installation error. In such cases, you have to repair the Avast installer and launch the software with correct settings.
For this method, you need to navigate to the Control Panel on Windows and then utilize the repair wizard. However, make sure that you sign in to your system with administrative privilege and search for Control Panel.
- If you are using Windows 10 and want Avast program to work again, then you can use the built-in repair tools. So, access the Control Panel unit and view the items as per ‘Category’.
- Then go to the tab for Programs and select the ‘Uninstall a Program’ option. For those who are using the Settings app, can view the list of programs installed on Windows 10 by selecting the Apps.
- Navigate to the program of Avast antivirus and choose the option of ‘Uninstall/Repair’. This will launch the wizard for repairing or uninstalling security software on your PC.
- So, hit the tab for ‘Repair’ and initiate the process of repairing installation error in Avast by pressing the ‘Next’ button. You can use this wizard for resolving Avast not working Windows 10 error and also for many other purposes.
- This includes modifying the configuration or preferences for Avast antivirus and also to uninstall the software. Hence, if the repairing tool doesn’t active your security program, you can use the wizard to uninstall it.
After removing Avast from your computer, you can visit the official website to obtain the latest version of this software. Hopefully, you can reinstall the program following the correct instructions and work with Avast antivirus again.
Method 2: Start a Fresh Installation of Avast Antivirus
As discussed in the previous method, you can uninstall the Avast software if it is irreparable. So, you can clear the corrupted antivirus program from your PC and reinitiate the installation process.
This solution is also applicable if Avast VPN not working because of issues with the registry entries on Windows 10. Sometimes, reinstallation can fix the problems in Avast antivirus, which has arisen due to the deletion of cache files.
- For applying this fix, visit the official page of Avast or contact an antivirus expert to obtain the latest software version. Then click on the suitable link to download the Avast program and install it on your system.
- If your computer has corrupted software, then you have to uninstall it. This is applicable for third-party programs or apps and corrupted Avast files. So, make sure to delete them all before beginning the Avast installation process.
- After uninstalling the older/corrupted Avast software and downloading the new version, deactivate the Internet. Now, boot your computer in Safe Mode and launch the Run dialog window by pressing Windows+R keys.
- As the dialog box appears on your screen, enter the command ‘msconfig’ and hit the ‘Enter’ button. This will display the ‘System Configuration’ window on your Windows-based device.
- Then go to the ‘Boot’ tab and check the ‘Safe Boot’ box.
- Give your confirmation to run the PC into Safe Mode by clicking the ‘OK’ button. Next, follow the proper procedure to reboot your computer and wait for it to boot into Safe Mode.
- You can now launch the Avast Uninstall Utility software for uninstalling the defective version. If you are not aware of this tool, you can take help from a professional to remove the corrupted Avast. Make sure, that the tool is already builtin in your PC.
If you are considering this uninstall utility tool for Avast removal, select the ‘Remove’ tab. Then restart your PC and allow it to boot with the normal startup process. Hopefully, you will see that Avast is opening without any technical error and working perfectly.
Method 3: Make Sure Windows 10 Action Center Detects Avast
Often, you may find that Avast antivirus has stopped working on Windows 10 because the Action Center is not recognizing it. This is when you may come across a message like ‘Windows couldn’t find an antivirus software’.
If this is the actual cause of Avast not functioning on Windows, you have to perform the following steps.
- Locate the Avast icon on your PC’s taskbar. Then right-click on it and go to the Avast shields control option.
- You can now choose whether to disable the Avast program for 10 minutes, 1 hour, or computer is restarted. After some time, enable the antivirus and make sure all shields are active.
- In many cases, deactivating the program and re-enabling it can make Avast detectable by Windows Action Center. But, if you are still seeing Avast not working Windows 10 error, you can apply the steps as discussed below.
- Go to the Start menu and right-click on it. Then select the ‘Command Prompt (Admin)’ option from the list of items. As you observe the Command Prompt window, write ‘winmgmt /verifyrepository’ and press the ‘Enter’ key.
- In case, the message ‘WMI repository is consistent: no problems detected’ appears after executing the command, write ‘winmgmt /resetrepository’. Then hit the ‘Enter’ key and reboot your PC.
- For those who are seeing ‘WMI repository is inconsistent: problems detected’ message, write ‘winmgmt /salvagerepository’. Next, press ‘Enter’ and restart your computer.
- Some users may also get the message ‘WMI repository has been salvaged: WMI repository has been rebuilt successfully’. So, you can reboot your system right then and check whether Avast not working on Windows 10.
If you are unable to apply the aforesaid fixes and want to launch Avast antivirus without any issues, then consult with experts. They can suggest effective ways to resolve Avast errors.
Frequently Asked Question
1. How Effective is Avast Antivirus for Your Windows 10?
Windows 10 based systems can get infected with modern spyware, viruses, malware, ransomware and more. Hence, you can install a compatible Avast program for Windows 10 to protect your PC from network security problems.
2. What is the Issue Between Windows Anniversary Update and Avast Drivers?
Many users have experienced the problem of BSOD when they tried to update Avast Antivirus after installing Windows 10 Anniversary Update. So, if you update Avast before installing this specific Windows 10 update, then you can avoid blue screen error.