Many Xbox One users are often experiencing a frustrating issue that is a non-functional mic. As a result, they are unable to communicate with other Xbox users over the microphone which is quite annoying.
There are two possibilities for this issue: one is a damaged microphone and another is the incorrect configuration of hardware or settings.
Whatever be the reason, we have tried to solve this issue in this article. Read this article to fix Xbox one Mic not working on your own.
Table of Contents
Methods to Fix Xbox One Mic Not Working:
You can try out the workarounds given below to get rid of this issue:
Method 1: Power Cycling Your Xbox One
Power cycling will initialize the set of configuration parameters of your Xbox One and recover it from an unresponsive state. Moreover, it will reset network configurations and connections with the connected devices.
Therefore, power cycle your Xbox by the following instructions:
- Press the ‘Xbox’ button on the controller until the controller is entirely turned turned off.
- Next, hit the Xbox button on Xbox One to turn it off and unplug the power cable.
- Leave the entire setup for about five minutes and reconnect the power cable to Xbox one.
- Now, check whether Xbox mic is working correctly or not.
Method 2: Changing to Energy Saver
Instant-on and Energy Saving are two power on modes on Xbox One. Energy Saving mode consumes less power and fixes the Xbox One mic issue.
Thus, you can change to the Energy Saving mode and see whether it fixes the mic or not.
- Open Xbox One settings on your device and navigate to the ‘Power and Startup’ section.
- Highlight ‘Power Mode’ under the ‘Power Options’ and press button A on the controller.
- The controller automatically changes to the ‘Energy Saving’ mode.
- Click on the ‘Save Changes’ button and exit the Settings window.
Method 3: Checking the Mic Through Sign In
This method will confirm the system that the controller you are using for Xbox is currently active.
- Launch Xbox One and visit the dashboard.
- Navigate to the ‘Sign In’ section and select ‘Choose this person’ on the ‘Sign In’ window.
- Select the person you have already created in Xbox One and communicate with a person to check your Xbox One mic.
Method 4: Checking Xbox Profile Settings
Incorrect Xbox communication settings can interfere with the microphone and limit the voice communication without any hassle. Thus, check the settings of your Xbox One profile by the following steps:
- Press the Xbox button on the controller and select ‘All Settings’ under the ‘Settings’ menu.
- Click ‘Account’ in the left navigation pane and choose the ‘Privacy and online safety’ option.
- Select ‘Adult Defaults’ and click ‘View details and customise’ in the drop-down menu.
- Expand the ‘Communicate with voice and text’ section and check the ‘Everybody’ option.
- After making the necessary changes, exit the window and power cycle Xbox One once.
- See whether the mic works fine or not.
Method 5: Test Headphones on Another Device
Xbox One mic might fail to work if the problem is related to settings instead of hardware. Hence, you must test the headphones on another device.
Here are some of the tips to test the condition of your headphones.
- Disconnect the headset and connect it back after some time.
- Make sure that the headset button is off at the headset controls.
- Open the Settings app and navigate to ‘Devices and Accessories’.
- Update both the controller and Xbox One to their latest version.
- Make sure that you are using brand new batteries for the controllers. Also, check that the batteries are placed tightly in their position.
- The headset must be compatible with your Xbox One, otherwise, it will lead to problems.
- Plug in all cables and wires to their respective ports.
- To test the headset, connect it to another controller.
- Moreover, maintain a balance between the chat room and game sound so that the chat is audible.
- Furthermore, check the Chat Mixer if you are unable to hear people on the other side.
- Look for Headset Audio and change the headset format to Windows Sonic for headphones.
- Finally, disable Virtual Surrounds in apps for better audio.
- Now start a conversation to ensure that the Xbox One mic is working correctly.
Every device has different hardware and unique settings. Hence, the solutions discussed in this article might fail to solve the ‘Xbox One mic not working’ issue. In such a situation, you can refer to an Xbox service center for a way out.