Windows Defender error code 0x80004004 is a critical error that may appear when you try to update Windows Defender on your computer.
Once you get this error code on your PC, the applications on your device will get slow and they will take more time to respond. Sometimes, the system can freeze.
Generally, this error appears when you use more than one security software on your computer. So, if you are using another security software on your computer, you should turn off Windows Defender.
If there is a problem with the internet connection, then you may fail to update it and get this error code on the screen. Additionally, it can also occur due to any unfinished uninstallation of some applications or even a malware attack can cause this error.
However, you can solve this particular error code with the help of this article. Here, we are going to list some effective hacks to get rid of this error. So, follow them and fix this error in no time.
Reliable Hacks to Solve Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004
There are various solutions to fix this problem effectively. So, we advise performing all the fixes one by one, to eliminate the Windows Defender error code 0x80004004.
If you skip any of the techniques listed below, the problem may occur again. So, follow the fixes instructed below.
Solution 1 – Check the Internet Connection
The first solution is to check the internet connection on your computer. Sometimes, a poor internet connection can cause an installation or update problem.
So, you need to check whether the internet connection is working properly or not.
If you have an Ethernet cable, then check if it is damaged or not. If yes, then use another cable. After changing the cable, if you see the problem again, then you need to check the port which may have got damaged.
If you are using a WiFi signal, restart the router. To restart the router, follow these directions:
- Press the Power button to switch off the router.
- Disconnect all the cables from the router.
- Wait for some time and then connect all the cables to the router.
- Then press the Power button to turn on the router and then connect it with the system.
Solution 2 – Restart the Windows Defender Service
If the Windows Defender service has stopped running, then you can see this error code on the system. So, you need to restart the service on your computer. Follow these steps:
- Hold down the Windows Home button and press the R key together to launch the Run box.
- Type services.msc and then hit the Enter key or click on the OK option.
- When the Services window opens, locate the Windows Defender Service, right-click on it and then choose the Properties button.
- In the Properties window, go to the Startup type and select the Automatic option from the drop-down menu list. After that, select the Apply button followed by the OK option.
Solution 3 – Turn off Third-Party Security Software
Sometimes, if some other security software is installed on the system, then this error code may appear. So, you should disable it. To turn it off, follow these directions:
- Open the security software installed on your computer.
- From that window, go to the Settings tab and select the Real-time protection box.
- Unmark the Turn on real-time protection option to disable it. Then click on the OK button to save the changes.
After disabling it, check if the error code still shows up or not. If yes, then you need to uninstall it from your PC.
If you do not know how to uninstall the third-party security, follow the directions given below:
- At first, go to the Settings window.
- Locate and double-click on the Apps section and then select the Apps and Features tab.
- From the Apps and Features window, scroll down the page until you find the security software that you are using on your PC, select it.
- After that, click on the Uninstall button to remove it. Once the removal is finished, the issue should be fixed.
Solution 4 – Running the SFC(System File Checker) Tool
SFC (System File Checker) tool is a powerful tool provided by Microsoft in order to find and solve the corrupted or missing system files from the device. Run the SFC tool can sometimes solve this issue. So, go through these steps:
- Press Win + X buttons to launch the WinX menu list and then choose Command Prompt(Admin).
- When the Command Prompt window opens, type SFC/scannow and then hit the Enter button to run it.
- Once the command is executed, reboot your computer and then try to update Windows Defender.
Solution 5 – Run the Windows Troubleshooter
Running the Windows troubleshooter tool can resolve the Windows Defender error code 0x80004004 on the Windows system. Let’s take a look into some steps which you can follow:
- First of all, go to the Settings window.
- When the Settings window opens, select the Update and Security section.
- Navigate to the Troubleshoot tab from the Update and Security window.
- From the Troubleshoot tab, find the Windows Update section and select it. After that, select the Run the Troubleshooter button to begin the troubleshooting.
During the troubleshooting, this tool will find the problem and you can solve it immediately by clicking on the Apply Fix button.
Once complete, restart your system and then check if the Windows Defender is working properly without any error.
Solution 6 – Install the Latest Version of the Device Driver
To connect the software with the system, the device driver is used. So, you need to check whether the device driver is up to date or not.
Sometimes, an outdated version of the device driver can cause this error code on your computer. To know more about it, follow the steps below.
- At first, open the Device Manager window.
- From the Device Manager window, go to the left panel and check if all the device drivers are updated or not.
- Then, right-click on a driver and select the Update Software Driver button from that list to start the update process.
- Once the update is complete, reboot your PC and then check if the problem is gone or not.
Solution 7 – Reinstall the Pending Updates
According to the users, pending updates can cause the Windows Defender error code 0x80004004. So, you have to reinstall the pending updates. To do that, follow the steps instructed below.
- Go to the Search box, type Update and then select the Check for Updates button.
- From that option, you will see all the recently installed applications.
- Next, navigate to the Uninstalled Updates section to see pending updates. After that, one by one you should install all the updates.
- After following these steps, restart the Windows system.
These are the solutions to fix Windows Defender error code 0x80004004. The above fixes are tested and easy to implement.
So, you can apply them to solve this error code on your PC. If you face any problem while performing the fixes, you can take guidance from a professional.