BitDefender is a security application that is used by many users around the world. However, in certain situations, the BitDefender application can produce different types of errors and technical glitches. Out of these, the BitDefender error 1004 is one of the common errors.
Ordinarily, this error code indicates that it is not able to update the software because of the system’s proxy settings. Therefore it is not properly configured on your Windows.
Effective Solutions to FixBitDefender Error 1004
Here are some effortless ways to Fix BitDefender error 1004 by following just a few easy methods. One of these will surely help you to resolve this issue.
Method 1: Configure Proxy Settings
Since this issue is temporarily caused due to misconfigured proxy settings, you can fix this by simply correcting them. Therefore, you can follow the steps below to correctly configure your proxy settings.
If you use a Proxy
Follow the steps below if you do use a Proxy in your system.
- Open the BitDefender application and head over to settings. Next, click on the Advanced Settings.
- Here, make sure that the Proxy server is enabled by clicking on the checkbox next to it.
- Now, BitDefender will automatically import the proxy settings from your default browser. However, if you use a custom proxy, you can enter the information by clicking on Proxy change and choosing ‘Custom Proxy settings’.
If you do not use a Proxy
You should follow these steps if you do not use a Proxy and are still facing the BitDefender Error 1004.
- First, you have to turn off Proxy in the BitDefender application itself. Thus, open the application and head over to Settings and go to the Advanced settings.
- Here, make sure that the Proxy server checkbox is turned off.
- Afterward, you have to turn it off from the system settings as well. Thus, open the Start menu by pressing the Windows logo button. Here, type ‘Internet Options’ and choose the first search result.
- Head over to the Connections tab and click on LAN settings.
- Here, you have to uncheck on Use Proxy and click on Ok. Lastly, click Apply and then Ok to save your settings.
Method 2: Change the DNS Settings
Changing the DNS settings of your system is another helpful way to resolve the error code 1004. Thus, follow the steps given below to do so.
- Press the Windows logo button and the letter ‘R’ at the same time. Here, type ‘control’ and press enter.
- When the Control panel opens, locate the Network and Internet section and click on it.
- Click the Network and Sharing option from the list in the Network and Internet section.
- Now, click the Change Adapter Settings option and double-click the Active Adapter (Network) option from the bottom of the list.
- Next, click the Properties option and when a new page opens on the next screen, select the Internet Protocol option.
- After that, set the Internet Protocol option as TCP/IPv4 from the Connection User list and click the Properties option.
- Now, set the DNS server address as “18.104.22.168” in the Primary DNS and “22.214.171.124” under secondary. Next, click on the Apply button below. Lastly, close all the windows and restart your system.
Method 3: Reinstall BitDefender
As a last resort, reinstalling BitDefender in your system should help to resolve BitDefender 1004 from your system. Follow the steps below to reinstall BitDefender.
- Press the Windows logo button and the letter ‘R’ at the same time. Next, type ‘appwiz.cpl’ and press enter.
- In the list of installed programs, find BitDefender and right-click on it. Subsequently, choose Uninstall from the options to remove the program.
- Next, open a browser and visit the official website of BitDefender. Head over to the Downloads section and download the latest version of BitDefender.
- Finally, run the installer as an Administrator and follow the instructions as displayed.
To conclude, you should be able to resolve BitDefender error 1004 by going through the methods mentioned above.