The webcam by Mac is also known as the “Facetime” camera by the company. Some of the Mac users face issues with the facetime camera and that’s not very bright indeed. If you too find that your Mac webcam is not working, then you can refer to this article as a go-to guide.
Here, we have listed down the fixes to this webcam issue on Mac and after going through them you should be able to resolve issues with your Mac Facetime camera by yourself.
Table of Contents
Mac Webcam Not Working: Try these Fixes
Want to fix your irresponsive Mac webcam? You can go through the section below. We have listed the aptest fixes there and explained each of them in a step-by-step manner. So, go through and implement them correctly to fix the issue quickly.
#1. Check the Number of Applications Using the Camera
Only one single app can use the Mac camera app. Check if other apps are using the camera at a single time or not. For example, if you are using facetime, skype and photobooth at the same time and the Mac camera isn’t opening, close all the other windows and try to open the camera. Your camera will function properly.
Bonus tip- If you can’t understand which app is resisting, close all the apps and open the desired app again.
#2. Restarting the Computer
You can also try restarting the Mac to overcome this issue. A restart, in many cases, resolves many trivial issues including this one. So, it’s worth a shot.
- Click the Restart option present in the upper left-hand corner of your Mac’s screen.
- Click Restart.
Check if the webcam is working properly or not after you try the fix.
#3. Restart the Mac’s System Controller
You can try restarting Mac’s system controller if the camera isn’t working and the above fixes also aren’t working.
Steps you can follow to restart SMC of your Macbook are as follows:
- Go to the Apple Menu on the upper left corner of the MacBook screen.
- Click the Shutdown option.
- Assure that your MacBook’s power adapter is attached.
- Hold Shift+Control+Option keys and turn the power on to start the computer.
- Keep Shift, Control and Options keys held down at one time, when Macbook turns ON.
- Allow 30 seconds to pass before releasing the keys, allow the Mac to boot as normal.
Now, check for the error when the computer starts.
Reset an iMac, Mac Pro, or Mac Mini SMC
- Move to the Apple Menu, click Shut down.
- Disconnect the power cord from your Mac.
- Release the Power button, reattach the power cable, boot your Mac normally.
- Start your computer and check if the camera is working or not.
Additional Fix when the Mac Webcam is Not Working
Webcam might face other issues related to the operation of the FaceTime.
When you can’t sign in to facetime:
- Sign in to your Apple account using your Apple ID.
- Choose Apple menu > System preferences > Then click date and time and select “ Set date and time automatically”. Click the time zone and make sure that the settings are correct.
- Make sure that you’ve installed the latest software.
When Your Camera or Microphone doesn’t Work
- Close FaceTime and then open FaceTime again.
- Restart your Mac (menu > restart)
- Check if your FaceTime isn’t open and try opening the camera on other applications like Photobooth. If it doesn’t, then understand that the issue isn’t with Facetime.
- Check the video menu and make sure the correct camera and microphone are open.
If our article helps you in fixing the problem, let us know that in the comment section below. Also, let us know if we have missed out any solution. Comment with the solution in the comment box below.