When you try to install the latest version of Windows 10, then it is quite possible to get stuck with the Update Error. The error generally appears on the screen with an unexpected error message, “Windows Update error 80070103” and the system starts to freeze frequently.
Moreover, active programs crash automatically. As a result, the system stays unresponsive if you ignore this problem. However, we are going to highlight the major reasons that are responsible for making this annoying issue.
Hence for a permanent solution, you can try out the effective steps and fix the problem without any affecting other sections.
Resolve the “Windows Update Error Code 80070103” with Technical Steps
Here, we are going to talk about some of the simple ways that will help to fix Windows Error 80070103. So, do the following steps to get rid of the Update related issues easily.
Fix 1: Upgrade the Drivers
Outdated drivers cause the Windows Update error and degrade the system performance instantly. To mitigate this problem, install the latest version of drivers.
- Type “devicemgmt.msc” in the Cortana Search Box and hit the Enter key from the keyboard.
- Choose the drivers that are outdated, especially check whether the Network Driver is updated or not.
- Expand the Network Drivers from the list and select the devices that you use and right-click on it.
- Then, choose Update Driver from the context menu that appears on the screen.
- After that, click on “Update the drivers manually” from the resultant window and confirm it by tapping the Next button.
- Next, follow the on-screen instructions and complete the driver update process successfully.
- Once done, try to reboot Windows and try to install the latest version of Windows to verify whether the Windows Update Error 80070103 still persists or not.
Fix 2: Rename the Software Distribution Folder
Sometimes, Software Distribution Folder creates a problem at the time of upgrading the system. Then, the best way is to rename the folder with a significant name and resolve the problem effectively.
- Type “cmd” in the search box and hit the Enter key to locate the Command Prompt option from the Start menu.
- Now, right-click on it and choose Run as Administrator from the pop-up menu and verify the Admin account by entering the correct credentials.
- Then, type the following commands, “net stop wuauserv”, “net stop cryptSvc”, “net stop bits”, “net stop msiserver” one after another.
- Execute them by pressing the Enter key from the keyboard after each command and stop the active Windows Services.
- Next, rename the Software Distribution Folder by running the commands, “ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old” and “ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old” respectively.
- Finally, execute the commands, “net start wuauserv”, “net start cryptSvc”, “net start bits”, “net start msiserver” and restart the Windows Services.
- Now, reboot the PC and apply the new changes to fix the Windows Update Error effectively.
Fix 3: Reset the Windows Components
Incorrect installation of the Windows Components or the missing System Files might time makes a critical error when you try to upgrade the PC. Then, reset them accordingly and fix the update issue as soon as possible.
- Open the Command Prompt in Admin Mode and run the commands, “net stop wuauserv”, “net stop cryptSvc”, “net stop bits”, “net stop msiserver” to stop those services.
- Now, try with another command, “Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat” and press the Enter key to remove the qmgr*.dat files.
- Next, reset the Winsock files by running the command “netsh Winsock reset” and then follow the next step.
- After that, reset the other Windows Services and BITS Services respectively by entering the commands, “sc.exe sdset bits
“sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)” separately.
- Again, start the above services by enabling the commands. Then, you need to replace the word “stop” by using “start” and repeat the Step1.
- Finally, restart the device and try to install a new Windows Update to verify whether the Windows Update Error Code 80070103 persists or not.
Fix 4: Reinstall the Network Adapters
If you use the older version of the Network Adapters, then you have to uninstall the drivers and install the latest version effectively. Make sure that the version is compatible with the System. Otherwise, you can encounter the Windows Update error 80070103.
- Type “devmgmt.msc” in the search box and press the Enter key from the keyboard to open the Device Manager window.
- Now, click and expand the Network Adapter from the resultant window and right-click on the default Network Drivers from the list.
- Then, click on the uninstall from the context menu that appears on the screen.
- Press the YES button from the resultant dialog box and confirm the network Adapter Driver uninstallation process.
- The program will take a few minutes to complete the entire process and reboot when it is finished.
- Finally, go to the Manufacturer’s website and install the latest version of the drivers. Now, verify whether Windows error code 80070103 still displays on the screen at the time of upgrading the Windows 10 or not.
Wrapping it Up…
This article implies the effective methods to fix the Windows Update Error 80070103 easily. Moreover, it keeps your system up-to-date and removes unnecessary hassle from your device.
So, we hope this content will be helpful to overcome the Install error with ease. If you still have any confusion about the above solutions, then connect with a Technical Expert for reliable help.