Web browsers like Google Chrome act as a bridge that maintains a secure connection between the web server and the computer to open the requested web page. While connecting to the web server users face several errors.
err_connection_reset Mac is one of the common errors faced by several users who use Chrome on Mac. This error indicates that something is interrupting the connection while loading the webpage. It prevents the user to access the webpage.
Any changes in the registry or network settings is the main reason behind this error. Blocked internet IP address also might be the reason behind this issue. Sometimes, the ISP firewall and Wi-Fi power cycle may prevent the internet connection and generate this DND error.
If you are stuck with the same error, then this article can help you to get rid of this error. In this article, you will learn the essential ways which can assist you to troubleshoot this error.
Hence, you should take a glance at the guide discussed below. So, let’s begin.
Easy Tips and Tricks to Solve the err_connection_reset Chrome Mac Error
Before you implement the troubleshooting hacks, you have to create a restore point so that despite any incorrect step, the data of your computer stays secure.
Way 1: Setup the MTU or Maximum Transmission Unit
The Transmission Control Protocol of the internet uses the Maximum Transmission Unit to determine the size of each packet transmission.
Hence, if there is any problem in the setup of the MTU frame, then it can trigger this error. You can solve this issue by performing the steps as follows:
- In the beginning, press the R and Win key concurrently from the keyboard to bring up the Run Dialog box.
- Now, type “ncpa.cpl” in the Run Command box and press the Enter key from the keyboard to proceed further. (Else, you can also click on the OK button from the Run pop-up box).
- Afterward, you have to note down the name of the active Wi-Fi Network Connection.
- Next, press the X and Win key both at the same time from the keyboard and choose the ‘Command Prompt (Admin)’ option from the list.
- Type the command “netsh interface IPv4 set subinterface “Name of the Network Connection 4” mtu=1472 store=persitent)” in the command line.
- Press Enter to run the command.
- Once it completes, exit from the Command Prompt window. Reboot the system to apply the changes.
After setting up the Maximum Transmission Unit, if you see that the error still appear, then you should reset the TCP/IP settings of the browser.
How to Reset the TCP/IP Settings of the Chrome Browser?
- Open the Command Prompt with administrator privileges by following the above steps.
- Now, you should type the command given below:
1st: netsh winsock reset
2nd: netsh int ip reset
3rd: ipconfig /release
4th: ipconfig /renew
5th: ipconfig /flushdns
- Press the Enter key from the keyboard to run the above commands.
- After executing the above commands, you should close the Command Prompt window and restart the system to apply the changes.
Now, you should launch the Chrome to open a webpage. If you see that the error still prevents you to open the webpage, then you should clear the cache of the Google Chrome browser.
Way 2: Clear the Cache of the Browser
By clearing the cache of the browser, you can also fix the err_connection_reset Mac error. To do this, you should stick to the steps provided below:
- First, launch the Google Chrome browser.
- Navigate to the upper right corner of the screen and click on the three-dot button.
- Choose the ‘History’ from the list of options. (Or if you prefer, you can also open the history of the browser by pressing the H and Ctrl key simultaneously from the keyboard).
- Now, tap on the ‘Clear Browsing Data’ option.
- Tap on the drop-down button of the ‘Time Range’ option. Choose the ‘beginning of time’ option for the following items from the list of options.
- Now, you have to make sure that the following items are checked:
1st: Browsing History.
2nd: Download History.
3rd: Cookies and other site and plugin data.
4th: Cached files and images.
5th: Autofill form data.
- Tap on the ‘Clear Browsing Data’ option after selecting all of the above options. It will remove the cache of the browser.
- Now, you should exit from the Chrome browser and restart the system to apply the changes.
Now, check if the connection reset problem has been fixed. Else, you should disable the antivirus program on your computer.
Way 3: Real-time Protection or Disable Antivirus
If the antivirus program has the option to block individual apps to access the network, then it also triggers this error. Hence, you need to ensure that the Chrome browser is added to the allowed list of antivirus programs to access the network.
How to Disable Real-time protection or Antivirus?
- First and foremost, bring up the Start menu.
- Then, tap on the Settings (gear-shaped) icon.
- Go to the ‘Update & Security’ category.
- Navigate to the ‘Windows Defender’ tab.
- Now, turn the slider of the ‘Real-time protection’ option to the left to disable it.
Now, you should check if the error is still disturbing you. If you see that the error persists, then continue with the further solutions stated below.
Way 4: Check the Firewall Settings
If disabling the antivirus fails to fix this error, then you should disable the firewall settings. To disable the firewall settings of the system, you should follow the steps provided below:
- First, tap on the Apple icons by going to the upper left corner of the home page.
- Click on the ‘System Preferences’ option.
- Navigate to the ‘Security & Privacy’ category.
- Go to the Firewall tab and choose the ‘Turn Off Firewall’ option from the list.
- Now, you should restart the computer to effect the changes.
Now, open Chrome and check whether the error still persists. If the error is still unresolved, then you should reset the TCP/IP settings of the browser.
Way 5: Check the LAN Settings
According to some users, they have fixed this issue by re-settings the LAN. If there is any problem in the settings, then it might be the prime cause behind this problem.
To check the LAN settings you should follow the steps specified below:
- First, launch the Run Dialog box. Press the R and Windows key simultaneously from the keyboard.
- Now, type “inetcpl.cpl” in the Run Dialog box and click on the OK button to go to the Internet Properties.
- Tap on the ‘LAN Setting’ option by going to the Connections tab.
- Next, untick the ‘Use a Proxy Server for your LAN’ and tick the box that prompts ‘Automatically Detect Settings’ option.
- Afterward, tap on the OK button and then Apply button to save the changes.
- Now, close the pop-up window and reboot the system.
It will disable the proxy as well as other LAN settings. Now, you should check if the webpages are loading in the Google Chrome browser.
These are the probable ways to fix the err_connection_reset Mac error. We hope after implementing the above methods in their corresponding order, it will definitely help you to troubleshoot this error.