With the multifunctional features of the Bitdefender application, it still faces technical glitches. One of the most common problems is Bitdefender internet security update error 1017 that several users face while trying to update this application. However, it can be easily fixed by following a few simple methods.
Generally, this error code comes up when there is a problem with the internet connection. Other times, Windows Firewall may be turned on and cause the update to fail.
Apart from that, an outdated version of the Operating System, device driver and malware infection can cause this error on the system.
Effective Methods to Fix Bitdefender Internet Security Update Error 1017
First, you need to try to fix this issue by restarting the system. Sometimes, restarting the device can solve various problems that you encounter along the way.
However, if you’re still facing this issue then you can follow the given methods below. One of these will help you to resolve your issue. Move on to the next method if the previous one doesn’t work for you.
Method 1 – Check the Internet Connection
When you try to update the Bitdefender application on your computer, you need to check whether the internet connection is properly connected or not.
Due to the poor internet connection, you may fail to update this application and receive this error code on the system.
If your computer is connected with the WiFi then you have to restart the router and then try to update it. If the problem still appears then you can connect to the Internet using the Ethernet cable.
With the help of this cable, you will be able to get rid of the network fluctuations faced in Wireless connections. As a result, it may help to resolve this issue.
Method 2 – Make Sure Bitdefender is Properly Set Up
When you get this error code, you need to check if the Bitdefender is properly set up or not. If not, then you may see this error. Therefore, you need to correctly set it up. Go through these steps to do so.
- At first, launch the Bitdefender application and then go to the Gear icon on the left panel.
- Now you can see the Settings window will open. In the Settings window, navigate to the Update tab and then make sure that the update settings are accurately set.
- If it is set correctly, then open the Bitdefender main interface and click on the Firewall icon. After that, select the view Modules button and then click on the Gear icon.
- From the Adapters tab, set the Firewall correctly:
Network Type – Home/Office
Stealth Mode – Off
Generic – On
- After doing these steps, you need to try to update the Bitdefender application and check if it updates properly without any error.
Method 3 – Uninstall Other Security Software
If you have another security software installed on your PC, then you can face this problem. So, you need to remove the security software from the system before starting the update process. To uninstall it, follow the directions given below.
- On the keyboard, press the Win + R keys together to launch the Run window. Type ‘Control’ and then hit the Enter button or select the OK option.
- When the Control Panel window opens, go to the Programs & Features section. Thereafter, locate and select the other security software.
- After that, you will see the Uninstall button, click on it to start the uninstalling process.
Once the removing process is done, reboot your computer and then try to update the Bitdefender application.
Method 4 – Disable Windows Firewall
Sometimes, the Windows Firewall can prevent the Bitdefender application from updating. Thus, you need to turn off the Windows Firewall feature from the system. To do this, follow the given directions below.
- Open the Start menu and type Control Panel in the Search box. Then, press the Enter button from the keyboard.
- In the Control Panel window, double-click on the Windows Firewall option.
- When the Windows Firewall window opens, click on the Turn Windows Firewall On or Off button on the left panel.
- On the Right window, go to the Private Network Settings and Public Network Settings sections. After that, tick on the Turn off Windows Firewall option from both sections.
- Finally, click on the OK option to save the changes. Then reboot your PC and check if the error still occurs or not.
Method 5 – Update Device Driver
An outdated version of the device driver can cause Bitdefender internet security update error 1017. Therefore, you must keep the driver up to date. To do this, follow the directions given below.
- From the keyboard, press Win + R key to open the Run dialogue box. Here, type ‘devmgmt.msc’ and press Enter.
- In the Device Manager window, find the Device Adapters on the left panel and select it to expand it. After that, right-click on the Driver to open the list of options.
- Select the Update Software Driver option from that list.
After completing the update process, restart your computer and then try to update the Bitdefender application to check if the error still persists or not.
Method 6 – Update Operating System
In order to keep your computer running smoothly, it is necessary to regularly update the Operating System. As a result, you must update the system by following these steps.
- Press the Windows key button and type ‘Update’ in the search box. Select Windows Update from the list.
- In this window, go to the Update tab on the left panel and then click on ‘Check for updates button to find whether any updates are available or not.
- Promptly choose the Update option if there are any available updates for the system.
Once the update process is complete, the computer will automatically restart. Thereafter, try to start the update process of the Bitdefender application once again.
Method 7 – Reinstall Bitdefender Application
When you find the Bitdefender application is not updated and getting this error code then you need to simply uninstall this application and install it again. To reinstall it, follow these steps as instructed below.
- First, press the Windows+R button to open the Run dialogue box. Next, type ‘appwiz.cpl’ and press Enter.
- Find the Bitdefender application from the list and right-click on it.
- After that, choose the Uninstall button to remove it from the system.
- Next, visit the Official website of the Bitdefender and search for the latest version of the Bitdefender application. After that, download it on your PC.
- When the download is done, install it properly on your PC. Make sure you read the onscreen instructions carefully and finish the installation process.
After finishing these steps, restart your computer and check if the Bitdefender works properly without any hassle.
In conclusion, the above methods should help you to fix Bitdefender internet security update error 1017 on your system.