Many antivirus users have reported the Avast service high CPU issue.
Avast Antivirus is a very effective tool for securing your computer. But, like every other security program, this can also give you certain problems.
The issue of Avast service high CPU usage is one of them that can put the security of your computer in jeopardy.
So, check out various ways in which you will be able to fix this antivirus problem.
Probable Causes of Avast Service High CPU Issue
First, let us point out some details regarding the issue of Avast service high CPU in Windows 10. So, let us check out the underlying causes in this section.
Avast Antivirus is a very effective software for securing your computer. And for all those benefits that you get, there can be a lot of complex systems. All these require a lot of processing power and because of that, there can be a lot of pressure on the CPU.
Besides, corrupted system files can also cause this problem. These can come up due to the faulty downloading of system updates. This is why you might face the issue of Avast service high CPU usage when installing updates.
But no matter what is the reason, it is possible to fix problems by performing a few troubleshooting steps. We will get to that in the following section. So, hopefully, you will be able to use this antivirus properly after implementing the fixes.
How to Resolve the Issue of Avast Service High CPU?
Now, in this section, we are going to lay out all the solutions that you will need to minimize the CPU usage.
Use Windows Command Prompt
One of the best tools that Windows offers is the Command Prompt, which can troubleshoot most of the technical glitches that you might face. Hence, you can use it to resolve CPU issues due to Avast Service.
To use the Command Prompt in this case, here are the steps that you will need.
- You will have to open up the Command Prompt dialog box first. For this, type “cmd” in the search box and press the Enter key after that.
- As the application appears, right-click on it and choose “Run as administrator”. This will allow you to run the Command Prompt with Admin access.
- In the window that comes up, type “C:\ ProgramData\AvastSoftware\Av” and press the Enter key. That will bring up the “avast5.ini” file, which you will have to tweak a bit.
- After opening the file, type in the command [GrimeFighter] : ScanFrequency=999.
- Now, you will have to save the file and then restart your computer.
You can now go ahead and check if the Avast service high CPU error is still there in your system.
Get Rid of the Avast Cleanup Tool
This particular software tool is something that can be useful for clearing junk files in the antivirus. But, it can cause technical glitches as well. So, to troubleshoot this particular error, you will have to remove the Avast Cleanup Tool. To do this, here are all the steps that you will need.
- Look for the icon of this tool on your home screen, then double-click to open it.
- Once you are on the main screen of this tool, find out the Settings section. In that window, click on the Components tab and expand it.
- You will now have to click on the arrow that faces downward. You will find the Uninstall component option. So, click on that option and follow up with hitting the OK button.
- Wait till the process of uninstallation of the Avast Cleanup Tool completes. Then, you will have to restart your computer to apply all the changes.
Now, you can check whether you are still facing this issue or not. If it persists, then carry out the next method.
Update Software to Latest Version
To get the best performance out of this Premium antivirus software, you will have to keep it up to date. Often, updating the Avast program helps to reduce the CPU usage problem to a great extent. Here is how you can update the software.
- Open up the antivirus software by double-clicking on the icon from the home screen.
- Now look for the Menu option and click on it to open the list. Then choose the Settings option to go to that dialog box.
- You will now get to see 2 different update buttons, one for the database and the other for the software.
- Click on both of these, as you will need both of them to fix this high CPU usage issue.
So, wait till the update completes and then just restart your computer. Here you have all the solutions that you will need to fix Avast service high CPU issue.