When you are getting no sound from your laptop, then it is indeed a frustrating situation. Most of the time, this problem occurs after upgrading the OS to the latest version.
This issue leads to several other problems in the system. Sometimes, it crashes the Edge browser and also leads to high CPU usage.
The driver issue is one of the main reasons behind this problem. At this juncture, if you are trying to connect the laptop to an external headphone or speaker, you face audio related problems.
Is your Lenovo Laptop sound not working Windows 10? and you are tired of searching the solution for this issue? Then, you just arrive at the right page. In this post, you will learn the amazing ways to fix this issue.
Hence, you are recommended to take a look at the guide discussed below. So, let’s begin.
Easy Tips and Tricks to Fix Laptop Sound Not Working
Before going to implement the below hacks, you need to ensure that the Laptop sound is not muted. It often happens that the Laptop sound is accidentally muted.
So, you should check the speaker icon from the bottom left corner of the screen. You need to confirm that there is no red circle with a line going through the speaker icon.
After ensuring that the speaker is not muted, you should move on to the solutions stated below:
Fix 1: Check Whether the Audio Device is Enabled
If the speaker of the Laptop is disabled, then you can also face this problem. To check it, you should stick to the steps mentioned below:
- First and foremost, bring up the Start menu.
- Type “control panel” in the search bar of the Start menu.
- Tap on the ‘View by’ button and choose the ‘Large icon’ option from the list.
- Navigate to the Sound section. Now, go to the Speaker category and check if the speaker is disabled.
- If it is disabled, then tap on the Enable button.
- If you are unable to locate the Speaker option, then it might be hidden and disabled as well.
- Right-click on a blank space to expand a new pop up. Tap on the ‘Show Disabled Devices’ and click on the Enable button.
Now, you should check if the Laptop sound started to work. Else, you should scroll down to the next solutions.
Fix 2: Run the Audio Troubleshooter
To fix the sound problem, you should try the Audio Troubleshooter. It has the ability to fix any audio associated problem automatically.
How to Run the Audio Troubleshooter?
- In the beginning, go to the Start menu.
- Then, type “audio troubleshooter” in the search bar of the Start menu.
- Under the Audio Troubleshooter window, choose the ‘Find and fix audio playback Problems’ option from the list of results.
- Then, tap on the Next button.
- Now, you will be asked to select the device to troubleshoot.
After running the troubleshooter if it doesn’t help, then you should follow the solutions stated below.
Fix 3: Fix the Audio Driver
As we mentioned earlier, the audio driver might be responsible for this issue. To fix the driver, glance through the steps stated below:
How to Update the Audio Driver?
- First, invoke the Start menu and type “device manager” in the search field.
- Choose the ‘Device Manager’ from the list.
- Tap on the arrow button near to the Speaker icon and ‘Game and video controllers’ to expand the list.
- Right-click on the Sound Card and choose the ‘Properties’ option from the list.
- Navigate to the Driver tab and tap on the ‘Update Driver’ option.
- Now, the system will start to search for available update. If it finds any new update, then it will start the updating process automatically.
But, if the Windows doesn’t find any updated driver, then you should check it on the official website of the manufacturer. Further, if still the problem lingers then uninstall the audio driver and use any generic one that comes along with the OS.
Uninstall the Audio Driver:
- Go to the Device Manager by following the above steps.
- Then, right-click on the ‘Audio Driver’ option and tap on the ‘Uninstall’ button.
- Now, restart the device to apply the changes.
Use the Generic Audio Driver from Windows:
Here are the steps you should follow to activate the default audio driver:
- Right-click on the ‘Audio Driver’ category under the Device Manager window.
- Then, tap on the ‘Update driver’ option and choose the ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ option.
- Afterward, click on the ‘Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer’. Choose the ‘High Definition Audio Device’ option from the next page.
- Now, tap on the Next button. Next, you should follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
After that, you should play any music or video file to check whether the issue still persists. Else, you have to turn the Audio Enhancement off.
Fix 4: Turn Off the Audio Enhancements Feature
According to some users, they have fixed this issue by turning off the audio enhancement feature. To perform this, you should follow the steps provided below:
- First, go to the Start menu and type “Sound” in the search field.
- Choose the ‘Sound Control Panel’ from the list of search results.
- Navigate to the Playback tab and right-click on the ‘Default Device’.
- Tap on the ‘Properties’ option.
- Under the Enhancements tab, you should check the ‘Disable all enhancements’ box and try to play through the audio device.
- If it doesn’t work, then tap on the Cancel button from the Playback tab.
- Next, you should choose any other default devices and check the box that prompts ‘Disable all enhancements’.
Now, you should try to play the audio again to check if the problem has been fixed.
After performing the above solutions, now it’s time to go through a few additional tricks as stated below:
- Check the headphone and speaker connection for the wrong jack or loose cable.
- Check the volume level and power and try to turn up the volume controls.
- Some applications and speakers have their personal volume controls. You need to check all of them.
- Try to use a different USB port to connect to any external speaker.
Now, you should check if the issue has been resolved.
In the above guide, we have discussed 5 amazing ways along with additional tricks to fix the ‘Laptop sound not working’ issue. If you perform the above methods in their corresponding order, then it will surely help you to put an end to this bug.