Discord is one of the best gaming tools that is specifically designed for gamers. It has become much popular in the community due to its hassle-free voice-chat feature at zero cost.
Fix 1: Try to Whitelisting the Discord Files in Antivirus Program
Sometimes, the antivirus programs like Avast delete the installer files accidentally that are essential to install the Discord. So, if it is the cause behind your problem, then you can solve this by whitelisting the installer file to complete the installation process.
To do that, you should follow the instructions provided below:
- First and foremost, you need to open the Avast antivirus tool. If it doesn’t load on startup, you can open it manually by going to the Start menu.
- Now, click on the Scan button and go to the ‘Scan for Viruses’ option.
- Afterward, you should choose the ‘Quarantine (Virus Chest)’ option. You will find the ‘Quarantine (Virus Chest)’ option at the bottom of the next page.
- Once you open the ‘Quarantine’, you will see some files related to Discord. Now, you have to restore those files. Tap on the ‘Add to Extensions’ option.
- If you see some of the files already created by the installer, you should click on the ‘Overwrite to replace them.’ Then, you have to run the installation again.
Note: Some Preventive Tips
To prevent the error from occurring again, you should set up the tool and the installer as an exception to the antivirus program. Choose the steps depending on whether the issue occurred after the installation or while running the installer. To do that, perform the steps as follows:
First. Open the Antivirus program by performing the steps as we mentioned above. Then, go to Settings and click on the ‘Exclusions’ option. This is the place where users can put files that should not be registered or scanned as a threat.
Thereafter, you should exit from the Avast antivirus window. Try to install or run the Discord again to check if the error has been resolved.
Fix 2: Perform a Clean Reinstallation
This method is easy. But, it is essential to perform every step carefully if you wish to reset the Discord installation.
How to Perform a Clean Reinstallation?
Before performing the troubleshooting steps, make sure that you have logged into your computer with an Admin account. Without the Administrator’s privilege, you can’t delete any programs if required.
- Go to the Start menu. Then, search for the Control Panel and open it. If you are using Windows 10 OS, then you can go to the Settings tab.
- Under the Control Panel window, you should navigate to the upper right pane of the screen and tap on the drop-down menu of the ‘View by’ option. Choose the ‘Category’ option from the list.
- Navigate to the programs category. Now, you will see a list of all the programs that are installed on your computer. You can also click on the Apps if you are using the Settings application.
- Scroll down the list of programs and search for the Discord option. Right-click on it and tap on the Uninstall button.
- Now, it will open the Discord Uninstallation pop-up box that prompts ‘Completely remove Discord on your computer’. Confirm it by clicking on the Yes button.
- Once the uninstallation process completes, you should tap on the Finish button.
Thereafter, if you see that the issue is still unresolved, you can perform the next solution stated below.
Fix 3: Delete Remaining Folder
Delete the folders of the computer that might be the usual cause behind this error. To perform this, you should take a glance at the points given below:
- In the beginning, launch the Run Command box and type “%appdata%” in the box.
- Hit the Enter key from the keyboard to navigate to your target page.
- Locate the folder where you have stored the Discord folder previously.
- Again open the Run Dialog box, type “%localappdata%” in it and hit Enter to proceed.
- Search for the folder that you wish to remove from the system.
Now, you should check whether the issue is still disturbing you.
Additional Method (for the Users of the Windows 7 Operating System):
This solution is mainly created for the Windows 7 users who are encountering the fatal error while running or installing the Discord file. This method is quite easy to perform hence, just have a look at the steps supplied below:
First and foremost, bring up the Start menu and search for This PC or My Computer. You will find this on the right side of the Start menu. Right-click on the entry and select the ‘Manage’ from the list of options. To proceed further, you will need the Admin’s privileges.
Thereafter, you should go to the ‘Server Manager’ and click on the Features button. Then, tap on the ‘Add Features’ option. You will find this on the right side of the next window.
As a result, it will open the Add feature wizard. So, make sure that you have located the ‘Quality Windows Audio Video Experience’ option from the list of entries. Check the box near to it. Tap on the Next option to proceed.
Make sure that you have finished the installation process. Then you need to confirm that you have chosen the ‘QWAVE’ option. Afterward, tap on the Install option. Restart the system to save the changes that you have made recently to the system.
Now, you should check if the issue has been solved.